So here is what I keep in my diaper bag for my 3 year old daughter and 1 year old son…and ME! Over the years I have been gifted and also purchased a few diaper bags. Personally, I LOVE backpack style with stroller straps like this one (and this one)!
My Son’s Portion of Diaper Bag
- Diapers I pack enough for a full day even if I think I’ll be out for an hour
- Multipurpose ointment I use the Honest Brand, and it works for chapped areas too. I’ve even put it on my lips LOL
- Wipes I (try) to recheck before I leave, because this isn’t just for butts, you know there is always a spill or a mouth to wipe!
- Sanitizer With COVID this should be number 1, right? I know it’s basically alcohol, but whatever it makes me feel better when there is no sink around!
- Food Pouch & Snack I usually carry a Plum Organics or Earth’s Best pouch and the HappyBaby purple carrot crackers. I always need two of these, because my daughter sees something purple and she MUST have some too!
- Attachable spoon for pouches Sometimes I slowly give him a pouch, sometimes I attach the spoon (it depends where we are)
- Extra Outfit and Matching Bib Just in case! I usually bring 2 bibs, because of drool or milk spills
- Extra paci I usually clip one to his stroller strap, but I always need a backup. He loves the MAM ones. I’ve tried more eco-friendly ones (made of silicone, etc) and he is just not about it!
- Formula pack & Water I have 3 little containers pre-filled with his formula that I carry around. I also have sealable baggies I can add formula to, but I usually save those for longer trips (because it saves space). I bring his water in a glass water bottle.
My Daughter‘s Portion
- Food pouches and Snacks: She loves the Plum Organics Tots Mighty 4 red and green pouches. She also loves the Earth’s Best Elmo pouches, so I make sure to keep one of each when I’m out in case she starts acting out (I can bribe her with that). I also bring the Annie’s Bars and Annie’s Cheddar Bunnies (the bunnies I usually keep as a treat for car rides, or when I know I need to shop about and can’t chat with her).
- Pull-up: She is potty-trained (THANK YOU GOD) but you just never know, so for now I carry one with me
- Back up outfit: Kids will be kids. I haven’t had to use it, but I bet the moment I take it out of the bag, I’ll need it!
- Lip balm
- Small snack: some nuts, a bar or a nice chocolate treat (mmm)
- Face mask! Can’t get into the stores without this guy!
- Deodorant I use alum-free and I don’t know about you, but I need to re-up during the day at some point!
- Headphones I’m trying to make a habit to not put the phone next to my ear (mega radiation)!
I try to condense things in ziplocks (not amazing for the environment, I know, but they’re already in my house). So, for example, I put their extra outfits in a ziplock each. I put the food items in a ziplock (also separate). The wipes I keep in a portable diaper changer that has a handle and zipper. This is so much easier than rummaging for the essentials when its time to change them and I keep this next to diaper bag in stroller. I still keep a few extra diapers in a ziplock in the diaper bag as back up. It’s so much easier to have things organized, so you can find it right away when they start scream crying.